Two Rich Old Men want their Fool Children to Marry

This is a 15-minute writing prompt from  5,000 writing prompts.  I only did about 10 minutes because I was falling asleep.

50 PLOTS FROM SHAKESPEARE AND OTHER ELIZABETHAN LITERATURE Prompt #45: Two rich old men want their children to marry. Each knows his own child is a fool; neither knows that the other young person is also a fool. (Mother Bombie, by John Lyly.)


"Breakfast?  Why I haven't the foggiest idea how to make breakfast, Lyle.  Why don't you call up Cookie and have her come in to make us food?"
"I haven't gotten the money to pay her.  We had to let her go along with the rest of the staff."
"Well, what about your job or investments?"
"I'm a man of leisure, not a worker. And my investments are Papa's for now.  I assume I will get them when he kicks off."
"But Lyle," Johanna whined, "we can't just not eat until your father dies!"
"Well, what about your father, then?" countered Lyle.
"Oh, well, my daddy said I would marry well and never have to worry about money or food," she said.  His money is for his business.  Maybe Daddy can give you a job!"
Lyle grimaced.  He wasn't sure what kind of a joke she was playing on him. A man of his position simply did not go to work.  He should go out and play cards, drink some scotch, maybe get a bit touchy feely with a wench at the bar, and come home.  If he were having a classy day with his father or father-in-law, he would ride his horse and go hunting.  He should not be working, and he wasn't sure what it would take to make Johanna see that.

"What if you get a job, darling?" Lyle asked.  "Maybe you could take in mending or some such.  Needlework is a woman's skill. Very dainty.  Very upper crust."
"Needlework!?" Johanna screeched. "Lyle, a lady never mends clothing.  She only embellishes it. Embroidery is only the finest of designs."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Man Who Faked His Own Death Must Be Found in Time